Designing the Perfect Engagement Ring
with Metal and Stone Manufacturing Jewellers
Strathalbyn, Adelaide, South Australia
This week Tanya and I were lucky enough to venture up to Strathalbyn here on the Fleurieu Peninsula. Here we met with husband and wife dream team, Sonya and Maurice. This beautiful couple own and operate Metal and Stone Manufacturing Jewellers. Maurice commenced his apprenticeship in 1981 under the tutelage of his German-born father Manfred Lorenz, Master Jeweller and one of the founding members of the Goldsmith’s Guild of Adelaide. Maurice is now the in-house Goldsmith and Diamond setter (he’s been trained by the best of the best in Belgium!). So who better to take us through the process of designing the perfect engagement ring?!
Maurice and Sonya believe the process of designing your engagement ring should be an enjoyable and interactive one. We sat down at their beautifully hand crafted wooden desk, surrounded by rustic feature pieces and were shown an incredible design program on the screen in front of us.
The first step to designing your perfect engagement ring is to establish a fair budget. The sky is truly the limit when it comes to jewellery but it’s important to work out how much you are willing to invest. Therefore Maurice and Sonya can help you design a piece best matched to your personal budget. It’s a great idea to work out what is most important to you…is it the size of the centre piece, the colour, the clarity etc?
Then on to the fun bits! Setting the scene with the sort of style and shape you are after; they can design anything from circular, to cushion, pear and square, it’s all there! From here you can establish your favourite ‘flavour’…I’m sure Maurice and Sonya used the word material! And of course the all important centre stone.
Whether you are able to bring your Fiance with you, or you have to go it alone, Maurice and Sonya can guide you through every step (with visual aids – it doesn’t get much easier than that!). At Metal and Stone they are happy to start completely from scratch but if you can bring in images of particular rings you like that’s a great starting point. And if you get completely stuck they offer an online quiz to help you!
What’s more Maurice and Sonya understand it can be a difficult process. They have designed and created rings for people remotely and are even happy to consult after hours to suit your needs!
There are many benefits of designing your perfect engagement ring with Metal and Stone;
- Maurice is a Diamond Setter himself so your ring never leaves their workshop (great for costs and security!)
- They prefer to deal with GIA graded diamonds for quality assurance
- They go to great lengths to ensure you are involved throughout the whole experience – they offer you progress pictures throughout the process and can even send you video chats if you need!
- There is no hard sell, they are here to give you the best experience possible and provide you with some client education so you can leave with the perfect engagement ring.
- Free jewellery health checks (Tanya found this particularly useful! That’s one for another blog!)
- They have payment plans available
- The process with them generally takes 6-8 weeks but they are happy to work with you on urgent pieces. (Something chain stores won’t do!)
If you are thinking about designing the perfect engagement ring (stop, just do it!) take a trip to Metal and Stone in Strathalbyn. Be welcomed into their live workshop and let Maurice and Sonya collaborate with you on the design of your dream ring. They will listen attentively to your design ideas and use their many years of expertise to create an engagement ring that reflects YOU!
When you have your ring manufactured by Metal & Stone Jewellers, you are guaranteed a piece that will last a lifetime.